Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Day 546

These days, we hear a lot about what's going wrong in the world. Global terrorism. Economic downfall. Environmental deterioration. Health epidemics. Mass poverty. There are a lot of sad stories; a lot to tear us down, make us fearful and do what is easy rather than what is right.

I'm one to talk...I take the easy way out too many times. Throw out food because I'm not in the mood for it. Toss plastic bottles in the trash because I don't want to hold onto them until I find a recycling bin. Buy the new shoes because I "need" them...along with the new purse and bracelet and dress. I have a lot of work to do myself.

It's not easy changing your ways. It's hard work. It takes actually stepping back and looking at what you say and what you do and how you think. It means risking your pride and ego and appearance just to do what you think is right. Sometimes it takes more than that. It takes a bit of a push from someone other than yourself.

Maybe it's a pep talk or a word of advice or a shout of encouragement. It could be teacher or a doctor or a scientist, giving you new life lessons to reflect upon and learn from. Tonight, my push was closing my ears to all those I work with...the talking heads and politicos and know-it-alls, and opening my heart to the words of someone that wants to teach us all how to reach for our dreams, fulfill our goals and become better people. I feel energized and inspired and hopeful. This is the type of leader I've always inspired to be. But my fate isn't to be in the limelight. I prefer to work from behind. And words of belief remind me that my work is substantial and people can change for the better.

No comments: