I'll be the first to admit it, I am not that great at picking up the phone and chatting it up. I can write until my face turns blue, but that's not the same. I'm talking about actually having a conversation with another person. Hearing their voice makes so much more of a difference. You detect a tone, feel their emotions. Again, not the same as a face-to-face conversation, but definitely the next best thing.
I come from a long line of anti-phone talkers. My grandmother, love her to death, but she has the phone down before you can say goodbye. I swear, no one has faster conversations than my Mema. And mom too...if I want to talk to her, I almost always have to make the call. Not unless there is something specific will she make a call. But that's how we all are I guess. I make the effort to talk to my family, because I have to if I want to talk to them, but my friends, well...I am just not that great at keeping in touch by phone.
I guess it is just easier for me to communicate by writing out my thoughts. I'd much rather sit down and write an email or letter; I suppose because I have more control over the message I am conveying. Silly, huh? Especially amongst friends. But I like to take my time, read through my words, and make sure everything is written out just right. Even my blog posts get edited two or three times before I can publish them. This is not normal though, and sometimes I feel like my inability to just talk something over hinders my social presence.
That being said, isn't it great to know that you haven't talked to an old friend for some time, and then you pick up the phone and it all comes back just as it's always been. Like we didn't miss a beat. You know that a friendship can sustain time and distance when you can just pick up after some time and keep on going. I talked to an old friend like that tonight, and am lucky to have her, and many like her, in my life. Good to know that through distance and absence, not much really changes.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i'm very thankful to have you as a friend - you are indeed a blessing! tootles and luvs&hugs, M-M
Post a Comment