Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day 680

I saw a quote recently by the late great fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent, who said, "Over the years I have learned that what is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it." I completely agree. If a woman if confident in her own skin, she will be confident in anything.

But I have also learned that there is that dress which, once on, brings it all out in a woman. It's one helluva dress. And I tried it on today.

Maybe it was the label--Red label Valentino. Maybe it was the price--retail for well over $1,000. But when I slipped that black satin gown over my head and down my body, goose bumps ran down my skin. I felt alive. Sexy. Confident. Glowing. I felt like I could walk out of that dressing room and own whichever room I wanted for my keeping. The dress wasn't wearing me...I was owning that dress.

I take back what I said before. It wasn't the label or the price that did it. It was the make. Deep plunging v-neck halter, smooth black satin that brushed right above my knees. Like I said, one helluva dress. I felt like a man eater in that number, and I loved it.

Sadly, I didn't have the budget for it, even at 70% off. So I danced around the dressing room, memorized the feel against my skin, and cried a bit as I slid the dress back over my head and out of my life.

Yes, it's the woman in the dress that is always the most important thing. But a woman in that dress--unstoppable. No wonder the price was so high...too many of that running around town and men would never get any work done. And woman would be ruling the world, one amazing dress at a time.