Friday, February 1, 2008

Day 451

I took a drive tonight along my favorite route. The Whitehurst Freeway to Independence Avenue, all the way home. As I merged onto the Freeway, elevated above the heart of Georgetown, the Potomac River glittered below me. The lights of Virgina waved hello to me from the opposite bank. The Watergate Hotel and the Kennedy Center stood in the distance, and as I curved around onto Independence, the black water splashed over the shore and planes flew low overhead. Next I passed by the Presidents...Lincoln on the left, Jefferson on the right. Washington towered up ahead, strong and powerful, white marble shooting straight up to the sky. Then stood the Smithsonian museums and Federal buildings, ducks in a row leading up the Hill to the prize in the sky, the Capitol building, bright and shining against a cold, dark sky.

To me, this night drive is so romantic. The monuments pop out into the night like a 3-D movie, the black river glimmers with reflections of the city lights. It is strong and bold and mysterious and sensual, just like a great romance should be. It grabs my attention and, at the right moment, can leave me breathless and in awe of its beauty and history. I breathe in its power and feel its vibrance in my bones. On nights like tonight, alone and looking for comfort, I have a love affair with this city. It warms my heart on cold winter nights, and leaves me wanting for more.

3 comments:

Linsley said...

DC is such a beautiful city. All year round.

Each morning I would walk out of my apartment building feeling the warm (or cold) air on my skin, down 16th Street, onto New Hampshire, seven more blocks past row houses with lights just warming up, to the Metro at 18th and Q. All the while planning my day ahead.

I'd climb onto the Metro with 10,000 other people and fight my way to Capitol South. Now get up, walk 10 paces to my car, drive two miles to work, walk in, and start my day with no time to consider what's approaching. I miss those mornings that gave me time to collect my thoughts before a busy day.

But, I must say that I enjoy sleeping an hour later each morning.

L.

Kate said...

lets get this in a book!!! :)

Jayme said...

shawna, what a beautiful post! You made me feel like I was there! Also, your cousins sound fantastic...how lucky your are that you get to be a part of their lives! have a good weekend!!