A Hog loss, a hangover, and Valentine's couples all around me today. I must have pissed off Karma recently, because today was just one of those days.
I must be the only woman in America that doesn't really get Valentine's Day. I appreciate the gesture--a special day to show the person you love your admiration and appreciation. But shouldn't you show your admiration and appreciation every day to the one you love. Maybe it's because I never really have ever had a Valentine on Valentine's Day, but it just seems a little extreme for me. It just seems that it gets a bit out of hand and that some people loose the meaning. It turns into an obligation and a competition. To me, that's not how love should be.
Example: my all-girls high school would NOT except flowers and other deliveries on Valentine's Day by the time I was a Junior because it got to be out-of-control. The attendance office would be overflowing with gifts, and it was always a show of whose boyfriend got them what. Same with college--the Chi-O house mailroom was crazy with red and yellow roses. None ever had my name on them.
Wow, I just sounded like a bitter old shrew there. But no, it's not a jealousy thing at all. I think there should be some thought and gesture behind the day. But I just feel like it should be less about the gift for the sake of giving, and more about the meaning behind it.
Tonight my Valentine's were my cousins. I got them some movies and a chocolate cake for us all to eat. My aunt and I picked up some yummy sushi and some presents for the kiddos and we had a family dinner. That was nice, spending time with those you love on this day. And really, it's all about the kids too. We got Jack a Beta fish for his V-Day gift. Charlie is now his name. Jack was so excited to get Charlie that he was screaming and jumping up and down. Seeing the kids happy like that--I love that!
For me, I'd much rather give a great present than get one. I always feel guilty getting something good. But seeing someone's face when they open up a great gift from you...that is a great feeling. Especially when you've planned it out to make sure it's just right. There's nothing better.
Okay guys, I guess I get it now. Go ahead then and go crazy with the presents. Give away! And if you have any brothers, I suppose you could send them my way. I'm not completely an old maid yet. Just promise me, all of you, that you won't let me get to the Cougar stage. Now that, I cannot handle.
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Happy Valentine's Day Shawna!
Shawna, if it makes you feel any better, I'm an old married lady and we have NEVER celebrated V-Day. Maybe we'll go to dinner, but nothing out of the ordinary...the whole day is way too commercialized and showy! It was fun, though, to buy Addison some Valentines. Sort of made the day make sense.
Post a Comment