It's funny; I've been out of the loop for so long now that I am suprised to find out I've been missed. I'm sure I've mentioned my lack of going out...that's a bit of an understatement, but yes, I don't like to leave my bed sometimes. Especially during a school night. But tonight, I ventured out for the first time in, well, I can't tell you how long, to go to our Razorback watch party.
In DC, Hog watch parties are a big deal. Our clique town caters to these events, and us Arkansans love any excuse to get together and yell at the television. Tonight was no exception--what a terrible game. That aside, I saw all sorts of people I haven't seen in a long time. And every one of them asked about my recent whereabouts. Where have I been? What have I been doing? I felt I was on constant rewind all night long because my conversations were all the same.
But that's a good thing. I didn't realize how bad it had gotten until tonight. My friends and acquaintances there were all genuinely curious and concerned. And although it was never my intention to make people worry, it was almost nice to hear that they were. Nice to know that my presence was missed. Nice to know that people are still looking after me.
So tonight, I offer my apology to all out there that are bitting their fingernails because of me. Really though, like I've said before, there's a part of me that just needs my alone time. But when I'm ready to get out again, like tonight, it's nice to know that you're there to welcome me back with open arms. It's really hard to miss people...and it's something I live with daily. Not only dad, but there are many people I miss not having here in my life. But it's good to know that if I need someone, there are people here to look after me. Thanks to you all.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Shawna! It's Robin Hampton (now, Robin Thibault). We swam together on The Dolphins.
I found your blog through a friend of a friend. It's taken me a few days, but I've read all your posts & I have to say what you're doing here is a wonderful tribute to your dad & to yourself.
When we were growing up, I always thought your dad was THE pilar of strength. Up at 5am, coaching, training, working out, coaching some more...etc. I never knew HOW he did it all. But, knowning what I know about how he fought his illness & reading the stories you've written about him, it was when he was sick, when his strength (and determination & courage) really came through!
I hope you don't mind me saying all of this, but I felt I needed to.
You talked in an earlier post about finding your "center", your "peace" & I think it's this blog...it's your writing. And, the way you describe your dad is wonderful. I can totally picture him doing those things, like running & coaching & even taking naps...because I got the privilege of watching him do those things while we were growing up.
So, thanks for writing & sharing your stories about Coach Blair! I'd love to continue reading them!
Robin
Post a Comment